Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Societal Impetus

     Why am I feeling this pressure lately of having a girlfriend?

     It started when my cousin April Joy posted on my Facebook wall. It was a question-answer application and the question was about me having a divorce. She answered that how can I be divorced if I do not even have a girlfriend. Most of my batch mates back in high school and now here in college have their partners while I am left with no one to be with- leaving me with no company at all time.


     This maybe the reason why my friend Reinalyn observed that I have been so alone lately and she noticed that I have changed. I told her that is because of my academics- I need to focus more since I have a terribly hard semester now. And yes, I have chosen acads over having a girlfriend since high school.

    Is there really a need of having a girlfriend?

    I think it a social need because your society judges your sexuality based on having a partner. This has always been my case- people often tag me as a gay for having no partner for a long time now. Even my parents sometimes doubt me, seriously. Though I tell them that if they wanted me to finish college they will not coerce me of having one. in my town, I cannot deny that they know me since I have been an active student-leader back in high school. Therefore these people add to that coercive feeling right now of having no partner yet- of course since majority of them have one.

     I BELIEVE that if you will let this societal impetus take over you, you will lead to doing a negative act or even acts that surely can ruin your life and an act that might have a negative impact to your family,too. So I am not being taken over by the system. Make them believe whatever they want to think and believe in, you know the real thing about yourself more than anybody else does.

No comments:

Post a Comment