Friday, February 18, 2011

Dropping no more

Maybe it is not yet my time really to drop an academic subject. I hope I won't drop any. Aside from it's a waste of money because of the tuition fee you paid for that subject, it's also not good to look at a transcript with a "DRP" as a grade, and also, as what my mom told me, my efforts will just be wasted.

This morning, I decided to wake up early and attend my supposed last day in my Broadcast Criticism class, so I arrived earlier than what I used to do in class. My partner Wang called my name as I move towards the Media Center, so I waited for her. She told me that she was already decided and that she was going to drop the subject. I told her that I am not yet sure about it. I told her that we need to wait for our professor first.

Our professor came late. When he arrived, we presented her our the blue form which is the dropping slip. He told us that he cannot convince us anymore because he already talked to us yesterday. He said he will give us another chance because even if he signs the form, the standing will still be a passing mark. He told the class about our plans and that I feel so embarrassed, but on a second thought why would I be if I have a solid reason and I believe that my point is a big argument.

So Wang and I waited until the class ended, which ended at Aldaba Hall for a talk. As we were walking towards the venue, Wang told me that she was unsure but doesn't want to drop. I told her that I also don't want to drop, seeing Sir Eli and also my professor Sir Choy as the lights that can guide me to surpass this academic tunnel.

We told our professor that we won't drop. He accepted it and that he told us that he expects so much from us being the ones who want to quit the journey.

Before today, we already consulted with him. He said that if the only reason for us to drop his subject is because we think we can't do it, then we are already judging our capabilities and that we already belittles our intelligence because as early as now, according to Sir Choy, we are already giving up. He said that if we will quit now, what more when we already have our thesis, and when we have jobs already, will we be able to tell our bosses that we cannot do it and then quit?

Sir Choy does not really know the reason why we wanted to drop. I think it is good for him to know the other reason. And I believe that it is also for our benefit to just keep it between Wang and I. At least, our religious faith is not totally damaged because of our professor.

As Tatay Louie said during our conversation with him earlier today,
 "Iba ang edukasyon dito sa UP. Matitindig ka talaga at masusubukan ang mga paniniwala at prinsipyo mo. Hindi tulad sa ibang paaralan na negosyo lang ang habol sa mga estudyante at papadaanin ka lang nila tapos graduation na. Dito hindi. Kahit na ako, maraming natutunan sa mga propesor dito."
Anyway, I do appreciate my classmates, especially Stan, Camille, Red, Yvan, Jossa, and other friends who encouraged me and Wang to not drop the course. Thanks guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment