Saturday, July 15, 2017

I didn't graduate in the first section, so what?

I was disheartened at first, but it did not stop me to focus on my academics and goals way back in high school.

During senior year at MNHS SSSC infront of CB.

It all started in the first year level at the biggest school in the region Mangaldan National High School. It was a gloomy afternoon when the result for the Special Science Stream Class was posted. Naturally, I looked for my name in the first coupon bond posted which was the list for students admitted for the first section, Charles. I was confused perhaps somebody missed to write my name on the list.  So, with heavy heart I searched my name on the second paper and there, the paper under the section Dalton, I read my name. 

My parents were saddened but were still happy that I made it to the second batch of the SSSC. I did my best in class, performed in academics, and participated in various extra-curricular activities. Most of the time, I was out joining seminars and contests, and was even voted as the first year batch chairperson of the Supreme Student Government. 

With due diligence and focus, I got a pretty good average at the end of the school year and was assigned at the first section. Here you go, my dream came true to be reunited with old friends. But the journey became more difficult with all the Mathematics subjects merged in this year level. We were acquainted with Algebra, Geometry, and Statistics- all my waterloo. Then come extra-currciular activities wherein I joined some contests which landed us to regional levels representing our division. I was again reelected as the batch chairperson for the entire second year class. It was difficult jumbling everything during that time. I was almost ejected as student of the Special Science Stream Class because of Algebra, but luckily I was still in the program, however, was transferred back to the second section. 

The last two years of my high school life was spent on the second section of the SSSC. I was elected in a national position and eventually was elected as President of the Supreme Student Government. Review schedule for the UPCAT and other college entrance tests and various national and regional competitions came my way. I lost focus. However, my grades were still good. 

SSG Officers for SY 2007-2008 with school officials.

During high school graduation, I did not graduate with honors but was awarded with some meritorious awards such as the President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo Outstanding Student Leader award. I promised my parents that I might not have given them that medallion which bears the honor student title, but I would do better in college. 

During my high school graduation at
MNHS in 2008.

The vow I made to my parents coupled with determination and prayers resulted positively. I graduated cum Laude in the University of the Philippines Diliman. I will never forget the smile, happiness of daddy and mommy during that moment. I even made them wear my medallion.

With mom and dad after college grad.
Honored my father by passing over the
medallion to him after our college
graduation.


Almost a decade after my high school graduation, I am now serving my hometown, my belove Mangaldan. My failure during high school or in college do not define who I am now. They even pushed me to become the better version of myself and without those trials and failures, I will not be who I am today- more determined and more focused in attaining my goals in life. 

To students who feel disappointed or disheartened by the section they belong to, let it be and focus on what lies ahead of you. It is not about what section you belong to after all, it's about the student who perseveres and studies very well. Do not be ashamed on the section you belong to and be proud rather that you are doing your best in whatever difficult circumstances you are into. Besides, you wouldn't write it on your resume. I think what's more helpful is you invoke the intercession of the Lord in whatever endeavour you have now because He will lead you on the right path. 

Chase you dreams!





No comments:

Post a Comment