Sunday, July 16, 2017

America, here I come


How can a single email which woke you up, ended up not letting you sleep at all.

It was not a typical morning when I woke up with message on Instagram coming from a friend stating that she was not accepted in the Young Southeast Asian Leaders Initiative (YSEALI) Professional Fellows Program. I was saddened by her message and at the same time I was also worried that I might not have been accepted, too.

I opened my email nervously. Upon reading, I was greatly surprised to find out that I got in!

Photo screen grabbed from US Mission
to ASEAN website. Credit goes to the owner.

The email which I received informing me of my acceptance
 in the said exchange program.

HOW IT ALL STARTED. I read about young legislators having opportunities for exchange programs abroad on YL Chronicles, the official publication of the NMYL. Copies of the said magazine were given to each delegate during the National Movement of Young Legislators (NMYL) Provincial and Regional Assembly and Re-organization for Region I held at Vigan City on September 8-9, 2016. 

My co-fellow from the Young Legislators for Good Governance of the Jesse Robredo Foundation and International Republican Institute Councilor Sheina Marie Onrubia from Tabaco City, Albay wrote an article narrating her experience in the said exchange program (see the article below). Upon reading, I thought that for a newly-elected municipal official like me such opportunity will be very helpful. 

The following day I met the NMYL Program Director Ms. Fritzie Aguado at the hotel cafe during breakfast. At first I didn't have the courage to ask Ms. Fritzie about exchange programs but my desire to be able to learn more fuelled me to asked her. I really appreciated her warm response and smile. She said that we will be emailed on various programs by the NMYL even in the Facebook page of the said organization.  

Councilor Sheina Marie Onrubia's article on YL Chronicles (Volume 6)
narrating her experience in Washington DC
during her YSEALI PYF Exchange Program in 2015.

ONLINE APPLICATION FORM. The online form was long and tedious, so many questions needed meticulous answers. I thought that the application form was already a test of someone's determination in pursuing the program.  Moreover, it really checks one's advocacies and passion in his or her chosen track such as the economic empowerment, environmental sustainability, legislative process and governance or civic  engagement, and civil society or NGO development. Due diligence was needed in answering the online form.  

There is a part in the application wherein one will be asked about a certain program proposal that an applicant will pursue in the course of the fellowship. Something that could help or is aligned with the track an applicant has chosen. My advocacy was something very close to my heart, education. What I thought during the time when I was answering the form was that if you really know from your heart what you want to achieve and what you want to pursue, it will come out naturally. 

SEMIFINALIST. Honestly, I never expected to be chosen as one of the 10 semifinalists in the country. I thought that there might be more interesting programs and proposals from all the applicants all over the country who really wanted to join the fellowship. I even responded late in the email notifying me of my interview schedule since we just arrived from Masbate province. I only knew about it when Ryan of the US Embassy called me up and informed me that I was supposed to have the interview during that time when he called. I asked to be rescheduled and it was granted. 

The pressure for the interview and making it to the program was high, especially upon knowing that there are three of us from the YLGG and one from its facilitators. I did not intend to inform everyone except those whom I asked for advise and prayers- I though that it will lessen the pressure, however, my name was already included in the FB conversation and everybody was wishing us good luck. My wife and my sister-in-law who helped me out prepare for the interview (like setting up the internet and the lighting in my study room), were the only ones at home who knew about it.

I really prayed hard that God will guide me during the interview. I even prayed that my father will help me out.  

INTERVIEW. I do not know whether or not there is reason behind my internet connection to be cut (even if you paid online, it will still be processed the next day) on the most nerve-wreaking night for me. So I merely relied on my mobile phone's internet connection. 

Representative from the US Embassy in the Philippines Ryan and an officer from the American Council of Young Political Leaders (ACYPL) Skyler conducted the interview via Skype. The interview was held for 30 minutes. At first I was really nervous. It felt like having the same experience of being a news reporter doing a live report and an interview afterwards by the anchor. (I really thought this helped me out a lot!) 

I find the questions during the interview very helpful. Ryan and Skyler asked some questions which helped me out to clarify my project proposal. The two were very supportive and understanding. I really appreciate how they listen attentively. 

I was sharing with my wife Lyle about how I did during the interview. She was not happy about the thought of me leaving so she said that even if I get in, she won't allow me to. She also thinks of it as too imperialistic. I just told her that I am not even sure yet if I'd make it knowing the cut throat competition there is. 

ACCEPTANCE. I went to bed late the night before I received the email. I was preparing for a recitation in my law class the following day so I needed to sleep more. However, the message I received via Instagram informing me that results are already out woke me up. I was thrilled and was at the same time nervous. 

I could not believe that I made it to the fellowship program. So many ideas were going on my mind. I thought that I was still day dreaming or still asleep. I told my wife about it and she was still unhappy. I thought that she will understand, in time. I immediately prayed and thank God and my dad about it. 

Facebook screenshot from NMYL.


The night we were told that we were chosen, NMYL posted this on their Facebook page. Three delegates for this year's Professional Fellows are young legislators including Councilor LA of Infanta, Quezon and Vice Governor Kaye Revil of Masbate. I, being the youngest.

ACYPL Program Manager
Elliot Bell-Krasner shared on
his Facebook account his greetings.
Photo screen cap from Mr. Krasner's FB.

(UPDATE: As of 2: 12 this morning when I shared with Elliot my blog entry, he replied with this message below. Thanks, Elliot!)




I told my mom about it and she was teary-eyed during our conversation. She said that if only my dad was alive, he could have been very proud of me. I could not help but cry, not only because of happiness but because I miss my dad during such moment. My mom advised me to tell Mayor Bona the soonest. 

I was about to go to the municipal hall when I remembered that Mayor Bona has a scheduled meeting with the governor in the morning so I just went in the afternoon. 

I was nervous on how to share my happiness with the mayor. Mayor Bona was very busy when I arrived at her office but she still found time to meet me. I told her the good news and showed her the acceptance letter. She was so happy that I made it. She began telling some officers at her office about it and I was warmly greeted with congratulations. I told her that I will make our municipality and her proud in the said fellowship. I really appreciate the way our mayor supports every endeavour especially if it is for our development and for the goof our municipality.

GRAB OPPORTUNITIES. To those who are reading this entry, especially to students, I encourage you to take whatever learning opportunities that will come your way. Some opportunity never comes back, so you just have to grab it the first time. I am thankful to the American Council of Young Political Leaders (ACYMPL)  and to the National Movement of Young Legislators (NMYL) and the people behind these organizations for this great opportunity. Special thanks to Councilor Sheina Marie Onrubia for the tips and prayers, and to Ma'am Fritzie Aguado for all the information and support. 

Learning must never stop and developing yourself and your ideas for the greater purpose of serving and sharing to others whatever learning you have gotten. 






-------
To know more about ACYPL, NMYL, YSEALI, please check their website through the links here on my blog. 









No comments:

Post a Comment