Friday, August 19, 2011

BJ 101 Midterms: Another 'real-world' experience

If there is another thing I love being a broadcast communication student here in UP Diliman is the exposure that I get and the hardcore training that the College of Mass Communication gives to its students. Just like this morning when our Broadcast Journalism 101 class covered a 'not-story-for-journalists' event which is the Quezon City Day.

Last night we received a text message from our professor, Ma'am Mae Anne Los Banos regarding the time that we should be at the UP CMC today for our midterms. And here is here message via SMS:

Guys, lets meet at 7AM tomorrow, CMC. Latecomers will merit (an) automatic 5.0. Goodluck on your midterms! =>maeannelosbanos

Being afraid of getting an automatic 5.0, everyone was already there at the CMC except for Ara who came a bit late, thanks that Ma'am Mae Anne was greeted by her students in the previous semesters.

We were briefed for the midterms and that I expected to cover a market story since she said before that she is not so happy with the QC Day story. So I researched on market news and events on the net upon waking up. Then, during the briefing, she said that we will cover the QC Day and we must be back there at 9:30 AM. We need to finish by 12 or else, the last reporter gets a five.

We ran, and competed for taxi. However my partner Ja, with Mhai and Mark, got the last cab and waited for minutes before having one. We arrived at the QC Hall. We moved to the QC Memorial Circle upon knowing form the guards that all the employees and officers are at the circle for the Wreath-Laying Ceremony.

I saw a lot of sectors offering flowers at the Memorial Circle where the former president is buried. I saw some DeMolays on their robes and dad masons with their aprons.

On gathering the data for my news, I found it hard, really hard to be in a situation or in an event where there are a lot of things to write. But I focues ona certain angle and that is on the security of the event.

I got the chance to see the significant people of the city and some officials in different offices. I just want to thank the police officials for being helpful. To Deputy Police Chief Inspector Richie Claraval.

We got back at CMC at ecatly 9:30. I picked the 12th number over 17 reporters. I was really amazed with my classmates who made great angles on the event. Keith, a sophomore journalism student and a Kule staff, made a unique angle on the irony of the speech of Mayor Herbert Bautista wherein he spoke English where in fact, Quezon is the father and prime-mover of the lengua franca of the country, the Filipino.

I was happy with my news. And I got positive feedbacks from Ma'am mae Anne. She siad she liked my angle.

No comments:

Post a Comment